Choosing the Right Yarn (In-Store) / TBD
Sundays, June 5, 1-2 p.m. & June 12, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
You've found a pattern, but now you have to choose a yarn. When the yarn specified is discontinued, out of your price range, not a fibre you like to use, or just not available nearby, how do you go about choosing a yarn that will work?
When you shop at Yarn It!, we are always happy to help you choose yarn, but in this class, we will arm you with the knowledge you need to shop more independently. You will learn:
- How to interpret what the designer used
- How to use the information on a ball band
- Why yarn weight matters (and when it matters less)
- The qualities of various fibres (drape, washability, and more) and how to apply some general knowledge to the specifics of your pattern to make a choice
- The qualities of hand-dyed yarns (speckled, variegated, tonals) and how to use them
This workshop dovetails with our class about gauge (Knitting Garments That Fit) but also can be taken independently of that one and will be of value to both knitters and crocheters.
We will allow six people in this workshop and may require masks (depending on the state of the pandemic).